Documenting Evidence of KEEPS Claims

DATE: August 5th, 2014

CANDIDATE NAME: Samuel Haber

COURSE/SECTION/SEMESTER: TAL 971/004/Summer 2014

Samuel Haber is a candidate in the Long Island University Masters of Science in Education: Teaching Urban Adolescents with Disabilities Program. Effective teachers possess a set of knowledge, skills, and dispositions that guide their actions inside and outside of the classroom. Some teacher candidates enter their preparation programs with some experience and values that address the KEEPS claims; others acquire them throughout their work in their program. All develop and deepen their knowledge, skills, and use of dispositions in practice during their programs. This form documents evidence as judged by the candidate at various times during their program.

Knowledge Claim 1

Students are intellectually rooted in the Liberal Arts and Sciences and the foundations of education.

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Transcript

TAL 885C

This transcript from my Undergraduate studies shows some of the Liberal Arts and Sciences courses that I have previously taken. These courses have given me a foundational understanding in the Liberal Arts and Sciences. 

2

Liberal Arts and Sciences Test Scores

TAL 885C

This Teacher Assessment was designed to assess a foundational Liberal Arts and Sciences background. By achieving a passing score on this test, I demonstrate the required knowledge of Liberal Arts and Sciences. 

Knowledge Claim 2

Students use knowledge of self, theory, practice, and/or child development within sociocultural/linguistic contexts to create appropriate learning environments and to teach in urban settings.

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Descriptive Review

TAL 830

This was a study that I completed for Inquiry I. This study shows the knowledge I gained regarding child development and how students interact both in and out of the classroom. These factors regarding child development directly impact the learning outcomes in the classroom. 

2

Inquiry II Lesson Plan

TAL 880

This lesson plan shows my knowledge of students and my ability to create appropriate learning environments which are suitable for all students. 

Knowledge Claim 3

Students use knowledge of strengths of urban families, schools, classrooms, and communities to create appropriate learning environments and to teach in urban settings.

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Anecdotal Log

TAL 885D

Through the process of calling parents, I gained a knowledge of families/communities and engaging in this process helped me get to know my students better.

2

Descriptive Review

TAL 830

This final Descriptive Review of one child gave me a vast knowledge regarding how this student functions in school. It also gave me knowledge of families, classrooms, and communities which helped in the creation of the best learning environment.

Knowledge Claim 4

Students demonstrate ability to construct relevant and meaningful curriculum using varied resources and based on Common Core State Standards.

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Reading Unit

TAL 802

This unit plan was constructed around building literacy standards into a mathematical unit. I incorporated both  Math/Literacy CCSS Standards by infusing speaking, reading, and writing skills for students. 

2

Unit Plan Project

TAL 875

This unit plan was constructed around incorporating literacy strategies into my instruction. In this unit I demonstrated the ability of infusing CCSS literacy standards into my instruction. 

Knowledge Claim 5

Students demonstrate the ability to teach the knowledge-base relevant to their teaching discipline as described in the Common Core State Standards.

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Unit Plan Project

TAL 875

2

Reading Unit

TAL 802

Knowledge Claim 6

Students understand and apply multiple literacies to teach in urban settings.

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Language and Literacy Final Paper

TAL 802

This paper was a final literacy synthesis paper in which I showed how I use speaking, reading, and writing to teach the mathematics curriculum. I wrote about strategies for building CCSS Literacy Standards and Strategies into regular Mathematical Teaching Practices. I also redesigned my classroom to effectively build in the instruction of these literacy techniques. 

2

TAL 875 Final Paper

TAL 875

This paper was written about a synthesis topic in literacy in conjunction with a teaching strategy. In this paper I detailed how I use digital literacies mixed with youth culture/hip-hop to more effectively get my students motivated and inspired to learn. 

Knowledge Claim 7

Students integrate and use knowledge of self, family, school, community and professional resources and literature to construct knowledge.

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Identify Reflection Paper

TAL 812

This paper showed my ability to analyze my teacher identity in conjunction with who my students are. I have realized the importance of my role as a male teacher and realize that i have many male students among whom I must make a difference. By holding a strong presence in the classroom, I am creating a caring environment for all of my students. 

2

Final Action Project

TAL 854

For this project, I studied a student and looked at the students past record of behavior. He is deemed "one of the most difficult students" by many teachers. After looking at the data, and talking to teachers, I designed a BIP for this student based on the best practices that I developed in teaching him. The BIP speaks to my ability to believe in the potential of my student because I implemented strategies that would help the student succeed because that is what I want to see. 

Knowledge Claim 8

Students demonstrate skill in written expression for academic and professional purposes.

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Learning from Learning from Adolescents Final Paper

TAL 812

This final paper for Lives of Adolescents shows my ability to write for academic and professional purposes. I incorporated a variety of sources and cited these works appropriately. 

2

Teaching Philosophy

TAL 857

My teaching philosophy speaks to my values and assumptions about teaching prior to reading scholarly articles. Through my academic research and study, I questioned my biases on diversity and was able to reformulate my teaching philosophy with a new perspective in my conclusion. 

Enquiry Claim 1

Students are active inquirers who observe, describe, and reflect on teaching and learning practices.

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Description of Connection with Others from Descriptive Review

TAL 830

In this section, I described through a scientific lens how one student connects with others. I did this through interviews, observation, reflection, and analysis of student work. 

2

The Learning Context from my Final Inquiry Project 

TAL 880

In this section of the final inquiry, I described the learning environment of my students in terms of environment, demographics, and school culture. 

Enquiry Claim 2

Students know how to frame meaningful questions and locate relevant resources to support the study of teaching and learning.

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Analysis of Student Work

TAL 880

In this section, I gave a informal feedback on a piece of student work to my student regarding differentiation for their learning capabilities. I used this analysis to further the work of my inquiry question. 

2

Preliminary Statement of Interest

TAL 880

At first, I reflected on my personal history with education, and addition to my growth as a new teacher, I asked questions about how I could improve my students' problem solving abilities because I am passionate about building this skill in the math classroom. 

Enquiry Claim 3

Students create learning contexts that engage their students in inquiry.

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Performance Project 

TAL 856 

During this performance project, students were required to show how they were making meaning through the completion of their performance task as they answered extension question promoting inquiry in their thinking process. 

2

Curriculum Unit

TAL 856

This unit plan is geared towards developing students' abilities to 'apply math expressions and equations to real world situations' and students were pushed to pursue their own inquiry during this course of study. 

Enquiry Claim 4

Students show commitment to the on-going improvement of their teaching. 

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Effective Teachers Never Stop Learning

TAL 879

This piece of writing speaks to my educational philosophy that as I aspire to be the best teacher possible, that this requires my constant pursuit of growth methods to enhance my practice. 

2

Letter of Recommendation from my LIU Field Consultant

TAL 885D

I have attached a letter from my LIU field consultant which speaks to my growth over my first two years of teaching. 

Empathy Claim 1

Students know and appreciate that no two students are alike. 

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Curriculum Unit

TAL 856

This curriculum unit was designed for my Special Education Self-Contained class. In this class, there are many different types of learners on different levels. My ability to differentiate for all my learners in the course of this unit is evidence that I know that no two of my students are alike and I need specific strategies geared towards individual students in order to teach and empower them in the most impactful of ways. 

2

Adolescent Study Interview Questions

TAL 812

I chose two students to interview and looked at them not only in terms of a student, but also in terms of who they are as a person. I formulated these interview questions for both students to frame what would become the final paper. These interview questions show my ability to design personalized questions for individual students to get to know my students and appreciate that no two students are alike.

Empathy Claim 2

Students care for and believe in the potential of their students. 

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

TK IEP Math Goals Progress 

TAL 885F

In this written reflection, I wrote about the progress of one of my students in meeting his IEP goals. This document shows that I am tracking the progress of my students because I believe they can achieve their goals and believe in their continued ability to do so. 

2

Final Action Project  

TAL 854

Empathy Claim 3

Students use knowledge of their students’ strengths, interests, and feelings to motivate and teach. 

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Afterthoughts

TAL 830

The Afterthoughts portion of my Descriptive Review are the concluding thoughts from my study. In this particular section of writing, I have written about what I have learned about my focus student and the subsequent changes that I will make in my instruction of this student. The ideas that I gathered through my study helped me to have a better perspective of how to teach this student through how she learns best through the observational data that I gathered. 

2

Observation 1 and 2 from Descriptive Review

TAL 830

Through this study, I have gathered observational data about my focus student. I then used this data to better motivate this student so that I could teach them in the most effective way and inspire them to learn. This approach has stemmed from the original observational data that I gathered through observing and writing these observation reports about my focus student. 

Empathy Claim 4

Students create caring communities of learners. 

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Analysis Paper

TAL 822

I wrote this analysis paper for my Assessments class. This paper showed an integration of how I analyzed curriculum based measures in conjunction with response to intervention techniques to create the most caring classroom environment for all of my students both behaviorally and academically. 

2

Identity Reflection Paper

TAL 812

Pluralism Claim 1

Students are aware of their own values and assumptions and question their biases as they relate to issues of diversity. 

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

The Role of Advertising in the News Medias Coverage of Disability

TAL 803

This paper speaks to the assumptions and biases that I held regarding how disability is viewed in the media. Through the writing of this paper, I questioned my biases in relation to issues of diversity and portrayal of disability in the media. 

2

Teaching Philosophy 

TAL 857

Pluralism Claim 2

Students demonstrate understanding/appreciation of the heritages, life experiences, and historical backgrounds of diverse social, cultural, and linguistic groups in our society and schools.

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Digital Story Animation Project

TAL 875

This digital story animation project is a demonstration of my ability to use the cultural and linguistic background of my students to enhance instruction. I used a part of my students culture, hip-hop as a means for building academic incentive and inspiration in the classroom to further the learning process. 

2

UDL Project Presentation

TAL 803

This project presentation shows my ability to show appreciation and understanding for a diverse social and linguistic groups of people with varying disabilities. In re-designing some elements of a church building and service, I am showing an understanding and appreciation for people with varying life experience and background beyond the school in the larger society. 

Pluralism Claim 3

Students implement a range of instructional approaches and strategies that are needed to educate diverse learners in a variety of contexts.

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Cognitive Strategy

TAL 856

This assignment shows my ability to illustrate and map out a range of strategies that will work for the range of learners in my classroom. 

2

Adaptations Portfolio

TAL 857

This assignment shows my ability to differentiate and modify to include strategies to reach all types and skill levels of learners. 

Social Commitment Claim 1

Students understand their role and responsibility in advocating for equitable and appropriate educational services for children and their families. 

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

UDL Project Proposal

TAL 803

I designed this unit to make sure that all students had educatioal access to a church building as I advocated for these equitable and appropriate services to be granted as access to all. 

2

Eradicating Segregation in Special Education

TAL 803

I wrote this paper to give insight and analysis into how segregation could be eradicated in the realm of instruction for Special Education students. In this process, I give ideas and strategy for advocating for the appropriate educational services to be provided to all students. 

Social Commitment Claim 2

Students understand their role and responsibility in improving classrooms, schools and/or communities.

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

Compassionate Teachers of Students with Disabilities Never Give Up on Students

TAL 803

This paper speaks to the compassion that I have to improve my students' lives both inside and outside of the classroom as I fill a variety of roles in my students' lives. 

2

Effective Teachers Never Stop Learning  

TAL 879

This paper speaks to my educational philosophy and understanding that effective educators never stop learning. This is the fundamental idea of social commitment to enhancing one's effectiveness. Through continual growth as an educator and intentionality to impact the classroom, school, and community, many improvements will be made. 

Social Commitment Claim 3

Students demonstrate academic integrity, professional responsibility and ethical behavior in their scholarship and practice

No.

EVIDENCE

COURSE

COMMENTS

1

S. Haber Teaching Video

TAL 880

This video is a demonstration of my teaching capabilities. Analyzing my effectiveness through this medium is a professional responsibility and through the completion of this video project, I am showing a social commitment to professional growth. Additionally, I am demonstrating academic integrity for completing original work as well as ethical behavior in how I speak with and instruct my students with the highest ethical standards of respect and care. 

2

Final Inquiry Study

TAL 880

This final paper is the compilation of my inquiry study. This paper shows my professional responsibility in fulfilling an academic task to the highest possible standard. In addition it shows my ability to correctly cite and incorporate scholarly sources with academic integrity. This paper also embodies a high code of ethics for the students that I studied as it shows my commitment to my students and my ability to keep their identities confidential throughout this study.